SkyBus Frequently Asked Questions
Answers to our most frequent customer enquiries.
- How do I book?
- You do not need to book a seat with SkyBus. Tickets are valid for at least 3 months from the purchase date and can be used at anytime before expiry.
- How do I purchase tickets?
- There are a number of ways to purchase tickets.
- Buy online on the SkyBus website.
- In person from our International and Domestic Ticket Booths and SkyBus Lounge
- From the Driver on Auckland City Express using cash only.
- From the Driver on North Harbour Express using card only.
- AT Hop card on board. Please note that SkyBus is not able to top up nor refund these cards. AT Child Student and Senior concessions do not transfer to SkyBus tickets. If you are buying a child or senior fare, please click here for more information.
- Do I have to print out my online ticket?
- No, these tickets can be scanned from your smartphone or tablet and do not require printing.
- Do the tickets expire?
- All tickets are valid for at least 3 months from the date of purchase, including return tickets. 10 Trip tickets are valid for 12 months from the date of purchase.
- Can I purchase a Return ticket from the Driver?
- Absolutely, this is valid for at least 3 months from the date of purchase. Please note that Auckland City Express can only take cash on board, while North Harbour Express can only take EFTPOS or credit card on board.
- Can I use an Auckland City Express ticket on the North Harbour Express Service?
- No, tickets cannot be used for any service other than the service stated on the ticket.
- Can I use a North Harbour Express ticket on the Auckland City Express Service?
- No, tickets cannot be used for any service other than the service stated on the ticket.
- Do I have to select a day and time when purchasing a return ticket?
- Our return tickets are valid for at least 3 months from the purchase date, and can be used at your leisure within this time.
- Can I get a refund on my Return Ticket?
- Please consider your travel plans carefully when purchasing a Return Ticket as partial refunds are not available for activated tickets. All other refunds are processed on a case-by-case basis.
- Do you offer discounts for Seniors?
- A NZ or AU seniors card must be presented at the time of purchase to qualify for the Senior Fare. Please note that while North Harbour Express will accept card payments for Senior Fares, the Auckland City Express cannot offer Senior Fares on board with the driver. Senior tickets for Auckland City Express must be purchased from either SkyBus City Lounge on 396 Queen St, International Ticket Booth or Domestic Ticket Booth.
- Who is eligible for Airport Staff fares?
- Airport Staff Fares are available for employees whose permanent workplace is located at Auckland Airport. To access staff fares you will need to carry an authorised ‘Airport ID’ or ‘SkyBus Staff ID’. For details on eligibility and how to apply for a pass please read our Airport staff fare policy (PDF).
- Can I use my AT Hop card?
- You can use your AT Hop card to purchase one-way adult fares. However, it is not possible to purchase a return fare using an AT Hop card. Please note that SkyBus is not able to load money onto AT Hop cards, and you will need to do this with an AT Hop provider prior to boarding. For more information, please visit Auckland Transport.
- AT Child, Student and Senior concessions do not apply to SkyBus tickets. If you are wanting to purchase a child, senior, or family ticket, please see our trip fares.
- Where do I present my AT Hop card?
- You must tag on and off on SkyBus as you do on Auckland Transport services. Your AT HOP card will automatically get charged the full fare amount.
- Can I use my Gold AT Hop Card?
- Yes Gold AT Hop cards are accepted on board but are charged for the Adult fare. Please speak to your driver about accessing the Seniors discount from SkyBus before you tag on.
Route and Locations
- How long does it take to get from the City to the Airport?
- Approx. 40-50 mins, but please allow extra time if you are travelling between 8AM-10AM, and 3PM-6PM as these are peak traffic times.
- How long does it take to get from North Harbour to the Airport?
- Approx. 50-55 mins, but please allow extra time if you are travelling between 8AM-10AM and 3PM-6PM as these are peak traffic times.
- How long does the bus stop for?
- SkyBus will only stop if hailed by a passenger (wave). Buses stop just long enough to collect the waiting passengers, so please plan to be at the bus stop 10 mins prior to the official pickup time.
- How do I know which route to take, Dominion Rd or Mt Eden Rd?
- Both routes travel to the airport from the city and vice versa in approximately the same travel time. The difference is the way they get there. SkyBus has a number of bus stops along Dominion and Mt Eden Rd which typically service our local Auckland passengers.
- If you’re planning to visit Auckland, Mt Eden Rd route offers a glimpse into Auckland’s past as it travels past historic buildings and shops that have been in Auckland
- Where is the SkyBus Lounge?
- SkyBus Lounge is located on 396 Queen St, Auckland CBD.
- What time does your SkyBus Lounge open and close?
- SkyBus Lounge on 396 Queen St is open from 7am to 7pm 365 days of the year and is looked after by a SkyBus Customer Service Officer during these hours.
- Are there public bathrooms at the SkyBus Lounge?
- There are no toilet facilities available at our SkyBus Lounge.
- Can I store my luggage at the SkyBus Lounge?
- You must be in the lounge waiting for your SkyBus with your luggage, as we do not have storage facilities available.
- Are there bathrooms on board the bus?
- There are no bathroom facilities on board any of our vehicles.
- Where are the SkyBus stops at Auckland Airport?
- You can view a map of our bus stops at both International and Domestic Terminal here.
- Does North Harbour Express stop in the City?
- No, North Harbour Express goes directly from Auckland Airport to Akoranga Station with no stops in Auckland CBD.
- Does SkyBus go through Newmarket?
- No, however you may catch SkyBus from Auckland airport to SkyBus Stop 12 at 16 Customs St East. It's close to the Britomart Transport Centre and downtown Ferry terminal and from here you can easily catch a train or bus into Newmarket. We can also stop at a bus stop located next to Mt Eden Train Station which connects to Newmarket. For this option take SkyBus - Route #01 (via Mt. Eden Road) and ask your Driver for this stop.
- Does SkyBus offer promotions?
- To stay up to date with the latest SkyBus promotions, you can opt-in for our Loyalty emails when you purchase your ticket.
- Do you offer discounts for large groups?
- Generally, we offer discounts for groups of 25 or more. For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Do you offer discounts for businesses?
- Yes, we offer discounts for businesses purchasing 25 or more tickets. For further information, please email email@example.com.
Luggage & Accessibility
- Are there luggage restrictions?
- Passengers are able to bring as much luggage as they require. Our drivers will assist in storing these in a safe place throughout the journey. Oversized luggage such as surfboards, ski bags and bikes are subject to space availability. Bikes must be packed in a bike bag or travel pack
- Can I bring food on the bus?
- We ask that our passengers finish their food before boarding, or wait until departing to consume food. This helps ensure that every passenger has a pleasant ride. This includes take away drinks such as coffee. Water is permitted in a resealable bottle.
- Are SkyBus vehicles wheelchair accessible?
- Yes, the SkyBus fleet has kneel suspension and boarding ramps to allow easy access for wheelchair users. Every bus has a designated space where wheelchairs can be safely secured.
- Are guide dogs permitted?
- SkyBus welcomes aboard passengers accompanied by service dogs or disability assistance dog.
- Can I bring my baby on the bus with me?
- Yes, we love seeing families travelling together. We welcome kids of all ages and under 4 years travel free. We have space for babies where they can stay in their pram, bassinet or stroller safely near their parents. Alternatively, you can have them on your knee or in a front pack carrier.
- Who do I contact for Lost Property?
- If you’ve forgotten something on board, please complete the Lost Property Form. We will be in contact with you within 24 hours Monday – Friday. Lost property is held for 90 days, left luggage is held for 28 days. If the property is labelled we will endeavour to contact the owner.
- Can I become an Agent for SkyBus?
- SkyBus has a network of Reseller Agents from the accommodation, transport and travel agent industry. For more information on becoming an Agent please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Advertising with SkyBus
- Can I advertise on SkyBus?
- If you are interested in advertising on SkyBus please contact our media partners Go Media (03) 365 2292 or visit their website www.gomedia.co.nz.